Residents Not Properly Licensing Pets

Fairhope, Alabama

MAYOR/COUNCIL SEEK SOLUTION


Because of low compliance, the Mayor and council are considering changes to the city's yearly pet licensing requirements.

Council President Burrell: "... it came to my attention ... I was the only one of 2 people who bought a pet license in the city ... in the last 6 months ...  we've got a lot of people breaking the law ... we've got a lot of pets here ... ."

"If we're going to have an ordinance, lets either enforce it or get rid of it ... I think we should keep it."

Burrell suggested one possible change could be going to a 3 year license ($10) instead of yearly: "That would cover the cost of the tag itself; and the person who puts together the paperwork to issue it ... ."

The current fee for a yearly license is $1.75.

PUBLIC SAFETY THE ISSUE

Burrell said the intent is not to make money, but to protect the public from rabies.

"Its there for public safety ... you prove your pet has had rabies vaccinations ... that's what we're trying to get at ... ."

IDENTIFIES LOST PETS AS WELL

Mayor Kant told the Times he is in agreement that something needs to be done to increase compliance, but probably not to the extent of the city of Daphne (click) recently. (Burrell agreed).

Kant pointed out another important reason pets should be licensed and tagged is to identify them in case they are lost.

According to its Facebook page (click), the Animal Control Department finds several strays every week, most without tags.

CURRENT ORDINANCE COVERS CATS TOO

Currently the fee is $1.75 per year and any proceeds over costs goes to animal control (according to Mayor Kant). Licenses may be purchased at City Hall -- proof of rabies vaccination required.

The penalty could be from 1 - $500, falling under the city's general penalty ordinance.

Animal Control Policy:
"Fairhope law requires that all dogs be licensed as a rabies control measure. Making sure your dog has its current license attached to its collar also is your best insurance of having your dog returned to you in case he or she becomes lost or gets out of your yard. Even if your dog never leaves your home or yard, it is still required by law. The dog license also lets us know if your pet is currently vaccinated against rabies. The money received from dog license fees helps the department continue to provide quality animal care and control services every day of the year.
The fee for a dog license is $1.75 payable to The City of Fairhope. Proof of a current rabies vaccination certificate is required.  You can purchase your dog license at Fairhope City Hall. For more information contact 251-929-0354."

Ordinance:

Sec. 5-22. - License—Tag and collar required.permanent link to this piece of content
All dogs and cats owned and kept within the city, and all dogs and cats brought in or permitted to come within the city, shall wear a collar to which shall be attached a numbered tag issued by the city.
(Ord. No. 988, 12-11-95)

Sec. 5-23. - License—Inoculation against rabies a prerequisite to issuance.permanent link to this piece of content

No license shall be issued until and unless the applicant therefor shall produce a current certificate of rabies inoculation for the dog or cat to be licensed.



Comments

Anonymous said…
Have you ever tried to keep a collar on a cat? All the collars are break away so they don't hang themselves in trees, etc. Do you know how many collars I have replaced? Does that mean I would have to go get a new tag for each collar he loses? Come on guys, let's get real here. Just give the flower clock money to the haven for the care of the animals instead of more flowers to replace every season.
Anonymous said…
Proof of rabies vaccination by the pet owner should be enough. Rabies vaccinations have to be done by a veterinarian and the appropriate paperwork filed with the state. Each county has a rabies control officer that can demand proof of vaccination at any time.

Micro-chipping is what returns lost pets to owners not licenses or tags. Tags fall off of most collars.

Will the city consider differential licensing for responsible pet owners who have their dogs and cats spayed and neutered?

Anonymous said…
if the rabies vaccination is every year, how could the licesnse be for 3 years?
Anonymous said…
This is just HORRIBLE. Cats need to be free, they are carnivores and eat mice, spiders, crickets, mosquitos, any larva, bee larva, bees and numerous other creatures that disturb us. What about a honey badger? Do they have to have a collar and be registered? I think not!
Anonymous said…
Next thing they will do is make me put a collar on my billy goat that eats all of my Kudzu.
Anonymous said…
When honey badgers are domesticated we should license and tag them. Until then, let's put a sign on the overly aff!ected morons on this string so they van be easily recognizable!
Anonymous said…
Just as it always has been and always will be, the city government is fixated on spending time & money on ridiculous agendas. Flower clocks and pet licenses are just the latest examples. But they aren't going to go door to door looking for unlicensed pets. The only time that it would become an issue is if the pet is captured by animal control. And if they can get their hands on my indoor/outdoor cat, I'll pay the fee and they will have earned it. Until then, I'll continue to ignore the silly ordinance.
Anonymous said…
My Calico Cat has no tail and is FREE! I set him FREE so fine me. He will continue to catch mice, spiders, bees, ants, crickets and other amazing creatures. That way my yard is nice and clean. I am going to order a shipment of small monkeys and set them lose in Fairhope to breed. Then they will spend their time trying to catch all of them and ignore my cat.
Anonymous said…
If your beloved calico cat shows up to kill federally-protected birds in my yard, it better be wearing a kevlar vest. Otherwise, I promise to set it FREE FOREVER!
Anonymous said…
Oh yea, illegally discharging a firearm and going to jail is a brilliant move...
Anonymous said…
Where was the word firearm mentioned in the previous response?
Anonymous said…
I suppose the cat needs Kevlar to protect from the verbal assault it's going to receive.

Also, if your "federally protected birds" are too dumb to get away from a vicious calico predator, it needs to be extinct. Of course, maybe it's just mimicking its owner...
Anonymous said…
Ruff Topic...
Anonymous said…
Looks like a line has been drawn in the litter box! Why don't we all agree to follow the law and respect our neighbors?
Anonymous said…
WOOF!!!!!
Anonymous said…
Dammit my CALICO will not be terminated like a low level city employee. He will eat your federal birds then I will put him into the flower clock to eat the mice that play beneath the ticking hands of time. In fact he is about to have kittens and I will release them into the city streets to run wild just like when I lived in Greece.
Anonymous said…
HE is about to have kittens? Too much ouzo. Fellow bloggers should take care to not drop their soap around this guy!
Anonymous said…
I believe in the spirit of Fairhope all animals should run free and plant flowers.
Anonymous said…
As usual, the residents of Fairhope cannot have an intelligent conversation about anything. A flying monkey has higher intellect.

it is no surprise after reading these inane comments that this town is happily stuck in 1960.
Anonymous said…
Come on, lighten up...
Anonymous said…
Dogs and cats running loose is a serious thing. They may tear up the new flower clock that Kant and Fidler are planting next to the Dyas Golden Triangle site. Oh my goodness...
Anonymous said…
Can we please license the ducks at the duck pond. I just stepped in you know what and I think they should wear a tag. Duck tags would bring in enough $ for employee dental coverage.
Anonymous said…
I am really bothered by the comments on this blog. I just had a conversation asking my neighbor to please keep her cats out of my flower bed where they are peeing and pooping. She was rude and told me I was over reacting... they also sleep on my chaise lounge on my covered porch and it is now dirty beyong belief... no zipper to take it off and wash it... I have really tried to not be upset with my neighbor. she moved in with 9 cats and we live in close quarters...I was raised to respect other people's property and to not assume that their land was mine or my animals... I like to think we do not have such challenges in such a beautiful town. I have been told to trap the cats and send to the pound, put ammonia all around my flowers, etc. I really wish that my neighbor was a real neighbor and kind and not rude to me... makes me sad that I have to now call animal control, etc.

some of you sound as inconsiderate as my neighbor... it is wrong to impose your pets on others...
I have never had a problem in my entire life with a neighbor... pretty sad about this.