Translate

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Fairhope Cat Electrocuted

Fairhope, Alabama

MORPHY SUBSTATION DAMAGED
Morphy Ave. substation

Electric Department Manger Scot Sligh said a cat climbed onto equipment at the city's substation at the corner of Morphy Ave. and Church St. in the early morning hours this past weekend -- causing power outages throughout downtown-area neighborhoods, including city hall, the sewer plant,  and the police station.

The cat climbed up on a voltage regulator and "shorted out" 12,000 volt conductors, creating a "pretty good sized fireball."

Sligh said it was hot enough to melt porcelain insulators.

Electrtricy was soon rerouted, but the substation is out of commission until replacement parts can be obtained; additional devices to prevent animal encroachment are being considered as well.

The city's insurance carrier should cover most of the repairs.

Mayor Kant said other animals, squirrels and birds,  have been a problem -- but not cats.

Kant: "That's a first."

The remains were buried on city property near the Pubic Works Building, according to Sligh.

No identification tags were found.

Mayor Kant

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another reason to keep your cat indoors!

Anonymous said...

Better way to go , than getting run over, I guess.

Anonymous said...

Or eaten by a coyote.

Anonymous said...

Shocking!!

Anonymous said...

idiots

Anonymous said...

That's a little harsh. Cat owners who let their pets free range may suffer from cognitive dissonance, but I wouldn't go so far as to call them idiots.