Antenna Won't Be Reinstalled on Water Tank

Fairhope, Alabama 

Update (Oct. 12): A source at city hall says it is possible the company could decide to put the antenna back on top.


No antenna today.

Damaged by storm.

Before storm.

DESTROYED BY HURRICANE SALLY

AT&T's cell phone antenna array that was destroyed by hurricane Sally will not be reinstalled on top of the city's water tank on Fairhope Avenue. (Other companies' smaller antennas around the edge of the tank will remain.)

The company has decided to erect an independent tower in the vicinity, according to Mayor Wilson; erection could take up to a month or longer though. 

Comments

Kristen said…
So can you find out which companies DO still have their towers up ... cannot go through the almost 2 years of no cell service on the Eastside again.
Anonymous said…
Hope theyget someone else to design it.
Publisher said…
Verizon and Sprint are other carriers we were told; believe they all have a equipment sharing agreement during emergencies like this.
Anonymous said…
Is AT&T going to credit their customers that have NO service what so ever east beyond this tower for the next couple months? I think not. This is totally not right. They should put up something temporary until they get their new tower "erected". Maybe they should try some Viagra to speed that "erection" along.
Priapos said…
Up to a month or longer? That's beyond dangerous: one is supposed to seek emergency care after four hours!

trumancapote said…
One can still get a landline. I would never be dependent upon internet or cell service because there are never any guarantees.
Anonymous said…
most if not all landlines today run over the internet
Anonymous said…
Yes, my landline is over the internet. Thankfully, after the storm, as long as I was running a generator, I still had my phone/internet service. Cell coverage was spotty. I could call and receive calls from Huntsville and such, but not around here.
Anonymous said…
I have wasted a lot of time reporting our bad signal since the storm. We are with Cricket and I'm pretty sure it is owned by AT&T. What a waste of time to get the scripted answers over and over for two days. Well, I found a solution - going with another provider. Of course no one at Cricket knew about this tower situation telling me that everything was fine with coverage.