Councilman Brown Resigns Unexpectedly

Fairhope, Alabama 

 

Councilman Brown resigns (second from right).

MOVING OUTSIDE CITY LIMITS

Place four councilman Robert Brown stunned those attending tonight's council meeting by announcing his resignation effective immediately. 

He said the opportunity arose to purchase an old family homestead in Pt. Clear outside of city limits where he will be ineligible to continue. 

The remainder of the council will select his successor, possibly as early as their next meeting.

Brown suggested former councilman Jay Robinson, who decided not to seek reelection last summer but may be willing to return.

Brown was serving his second term; he was first-elected in 2016.

Brown made additional comments on his Facebook page later: 
 
"I believe there is a purpose in time and that things happen for a reason. We might not understand at the moment why, but if we leave our trust in God he will reveal why.
There is a reason I was given the honor and privilege to serve the City of Fairhope for the last 4 plus years. And I wouldn’t trade it for anything. Well maybe trade some things.
I have had an opportunity present itself that is truly a one time opportunity and felt me and my family had to take it. I have struggled with this decision because it forces me to do something I don’t want to do.
I will be moving outside of the City of Fairhope corporate limits. And therefore effective immediately I resign from my position as Fairhope City Council, Place 4.
Again, I truly appreciate the opportunity to serve my hometown. I appreciate everyone who supported me in both elections and throughout my terms. While I might not be a councilman, I will continue to look for ways to serve the community of Fairhope as a whole. And may God continue to bless this great city, I call home."

Comments

Anonymous said…
Best of luck in your new home. Sometimes family does come first.
Anonymous said…
I hope they consider appointing a woman. The lack of diversity there is striking.
Anonymous said…
I nominate John Manelas.
Anonymous said…
There are several women.who could do well. There are also several who would be problematic.
Equal, But Not Identical said…
"I hope they consider appointing a woman. The lack of diversity there is striking."

On the other hand, a woman could run for council and win, just as the men did--just as Mayor Sherry Sullivan (a woman) did.

I do wonder if you will be similarly stricken by the lack of diversity this summer, when it's 88 degrees with 90% humidity, and you see no women toiling on rooftops, laying your neighbors' shingles or lifting infested and mouldering trash from your curb into reeking garbage trucks.

Eclectic feminism is meritless, counterfeit feminism; it beclowns its advocates and tends to diminish the legacy of serious, thoughtful, and sacrificing feminists of yore (e.g. Susan B. Anthony).
Anonymous said…
Maybe you should find an electable woman and ask her to run for office. There are plenty of intelligent and well educated ladies in this town.
Perhaps if you're an electable woman, you should run for office.

Or you can just sit there an whine about lack of diversity and expect them to appoint based on "diversity in the name of diversity", rather than appointing the best person.
Anonymous said…
The council has always been an old boys club.
Reason, Then Type said…
"The council has always been an old boys club."

So, do you suggest that we disenfranchise the female 52.7% of our electorate--an electoral majority, that by your implications, has failed our community by failing to elect women?
Anonymous said…
Women should stay at home and stick to women's work taking care of husbands and the kids. Th Good Book says so.
Anonymous said…
This one should be a no brainer. The man who got the second most votes in last summer's election should be appointed.
Anonymous said…
Here's the way I look at it. I don't think someone should be put into a position based on their gender, race, etc. The best qualified applicant should get the job. However, since Brown has resigned at the beginning of his term and rules dictate that the City Council picks his successor then maybe we should consider diversifying the City Council. Not sure why we would pick Jay Robinson to fill another 4 year term when he intentionally didn't run for reelection. That makes no sense. But, maybe the City Council should consider Deb Hopkins as a viable alternative since they're simply appointing Brown's successor with no actual election. Deb Hopkins, a political newcomer faired very well against Jack Burrell during the 2020 general election. Jack Burrell received 3,548 votes (55.88%) and Deb Hopkins received 2,801 votes (44.12%). Darn close race and that tells me that a lot of people in Fairhope thought Deb Hopkins would do a good job. I think the City Council should consider Deb Hopkins as an alternative.
Anonymous said…
Paula Denham, karin Wilson, Alex Robinson are some possibilities.
Anonymous said…
Daniel Mashburn-Myrick had political aspirations a one time. She is a smart girl.
Anonymous said…
Maybe Tim Kant would be interested. He is a good man.
Just a Thinker said…
Top 3 candidates: Paul Ripp, Fred Richardson, Philip Rivers. Can live with me until the GoFundMe account has enough to buy you a nicer place inside city limits (won’t take long). I hear “Eastbound and Down” playing... Turn it up and let’s get it on—
Anonymous said…
Be sure to choose someone who has the time to attend all committee meetings!
Anonymous said…
Why don't they just have another election?
Reality Break said…
Umm, I think we need to expand the Council.

Last I read, we are at 81 genders, and that leaves 80 unrepresented interest groups (as far as I know, anyway). So, let's expand to a 200-member Council. That should give us the head-room to make it to the 2024 election. Then, we can reevaluate.