Columbarium Planned At Fairhope Catholic Church

Fairhope, Alabama 

 


 

CITIZEN OBJECTS

By a 4-1 vote, the city's board of adjustments approved a request from St. Lawrence Catholic Church for a special zoning exception to construct a columbarium at the rear of  their campus at 370 S. Section Street.

A columbarium is a vault where the remains of cremated bodies are kept, usually in one of a number of recesses in a wall.

Four 8' by 3' structures are planned, containing 36 niches each. 

When Ralph Anderson, a resident of nearby Kirkman Lane, objected because of drainage/runoff worries,  the board required sidewalks to be of pervious material to reduce runoff to a minimum.

The contractor said the project is so small no added runoff would be generated; Anderson was still worried because his home sits in a low area directly downstream from the church (photo below).


Design.

 

Anderson's residence.

Comments

Anonymous said…
The city's board of adjustments would never disapprove a request from St. Lawrence Catholic Church .
Henry said…
But the parking problem uptown!!!!!
Anonymous said…
Oh, Henry! Weak candy bar. Weak ridicule.
Anonymous said…
Please tell us more about the collusion between the church and city. You know much more than we.
Oh Henry said…
Hey! Leave me out of your petty insults! I may not be KitKat or Twix, but I’m still a tasty chocolate treat!
Anonymous said…
Oh, fudge! I'd peanuts to hurt your feelings intentionally. I will exercise greater caramel going forward. So, chocolates forget this ever happened, please.
Anonymous said…
I’m just glad you’re back. I was afraid you were locked in your safe space or staging another one-woman protest somewhere.
Anonymous said…
I WAS locked in my safe space, but had to run out for D batteries.