Nice evening, and I thank the local businesses who stayed open late, as always. I wonder, though, if we really need to close Fairhope Avenue. Almost no stores participated, and the city was towing cars to make room for a handful of people and a band that could easily move one block south or to Church Street. I understand clearing out De La Mar, which is a short side street with good First Friday participation, but until such time as the event truly grows, the city is only creating resentment and ill will. Tourists and locals (such as we) are surely turned off by the closing of our main E/W artery, eliminating many needed parking spots for diners, and the laying of the heavy hand of officialdom.
Anonymous said…
Well said. From looks of pictures I've seen, doesn't seem like a need to do this.
Anonymous said…
The rain caused low attendance at this one. High humidity too.
Anonymous said…
I think closing Fairhope Ave for that short time is a great idea. Much easier (safer) to navigate between stores and enjoy the evening. The weather was not helpful this time but that will change.
Anonymous said…
Maybe they should close the street permanently. I had no idea that navigating between stores was so dangerous! Maybe all the stores could be moved into a new mall on Greeno. The mall could have padded floors to protect shoppers. The empty storefronts on Fairhope Avenue then could be covered with padded walls. There seems to be an unmet and urgent need.
Comments
I understand clearing out De La Mar, which is a short side street with good First Friday participation, but until such time as the event truly grows, the city is only creating resentment and ill will.
Tourists and locals (such as we) are surely turned off by the closing of our main E/W artery, eliminating many needed parking spots for diners, and the laying of the heavy hand of officialdom.
Maybe all the stores could be moved into a new mall on Greeno. The mall could have padded floors to protect shoppers.
The empty storefronts on Fairhope Avenue then could be covered with padded walls. There seems to be an unmet and urgent need.